Monday, June 6, 2011

Did Baba really get 55 Lakh missed calls?

Amid all the drama and hoopla of past 3 days, one number struck me as very odd. As I've a tendency to take numbers too seriously I decided to do some analysis of the news that Baba Ramdev got 55 lakh missed calls. I used a simple technique. A day has 24 hours, each hour has 60 minutes and each minute has 60 seconds. So multiplying all we get 86400 seconds. Now the next step was crucial, I took an assumption here and you can question me on that. I assumed that a person calling Baba will at least busy his phone for 5 seconds (Note- I'm not saying that the phone will ring for 5 seconds). So dividing 5 by 86400 seconds will gives us 17280, exactly the number of calls possible in a day if the above assumption is taken.
The next part was to calculate how many days are required to reach the magical figure of 55 lakhs. Just another calculation away. I divided 55,00,000 by 17280 and I get roughly 319 days. That leaves a question. To get so many calls has Baba been planning this for more than year?

4 comments:

  1. Well...good observation...was this story posted in JagBani, by any chance??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not read it in Jag Bani, but at http://www.firstpost.com/politics/baba-gives-a-taste-of-his-brand-of-humour-before-fast-20256.html So I have no idea about Jag Bani

    ReplyDelete
  3. As i said before also, Baba must be on drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @uns yeah this is a good explanation. He must be hallucinating. Seeing 55 as 55 lakh.

    ReplyDelete