Sunday, February 6, 2011

MBA for a receptionist!

So here comes another Sunday. It’s been a while I rested on a weekend and not go for some partying or shopping. But I have to say as much as I love partying, travelling or shopping, this time I really liked a quiet and alone Sunday. As the first thing on my checklist was to get a good amount of sleep for my sleep deprived body, so I woke up in the afternoon when finally my back started aching. And then as always I had missed my breakfast and lunch at the hostel mess is an option that I never consider. So I decided to take a walk and treat myself to some paranthas. That is how I ended up settling for the nearest market to our hostel which is Kailash. I went there, got my cell phone recharged, another thing I can strike off the checklist and ordered some paranthas. At that point only one thing crossed my mind if only I could have mom’s handmade paranthas. I got my order and started eating. Just as I was engrossed in them, some advertisement struck my eyes. It was one of those kinds where you take out a printout and you go around the town pasting them on the walls. It read

Required-Receptionist

Salary- 6000-8000

UG/Graduates/MBA

I was stunned. It really shook me. I was so taken aback that I forgot I was having food. How can an MBA even think of doing the job of a receptionist, leave alone the salary. You go to a B-school, pay around half a million Rupees at least and then go through the entire rigor to be an MBA. They teach you operations, marketing, finance, HR, strategy and what not. How a person after learning so much, can even think of being hired as a receptionist? I started thinking, my mind now totally diverted from the fact that I had no food for the last 15 something hours and now a plateful of paranthas lied in front of me and only me. I thought, how can that person who gave that advertisement, think of hiring an MBA for the specific job. Well It didn’t require too much of thinking. It takes no Sherlock Holmes to figure out that we are living and studying in a fractured system. A system which has stuck to the old notion of just getting admission in a college and then go through the motions and one thinks he will end up having a job. This has what led to the dilution of what MBBS, MBA or other educations really meant. Many of us study because we think we don’t have enough education to match how much we want to earn. And we forget the fact that it not the education but the capabilities that matter. We forget that in the real world nobody gives a damn what degree you have, they see what you can do. What results you can deliver. I think the person who gave the advertisement, is aware of the same fact. He knows he might hire an MBA for the job of a receptionist but then that’s all he or she might be capable of. Here I am not questioning our education system, what I am questioning is our mindset, how we approach our life at college. Are we one of those who just go through the motions and are desperately waiting for two years to end, so that they can finally earn something, or are we part of the other breed who approach everyday as to learn something new and make a change in them. Are we the same what we were a year ago or there is a fundamental change in how we think, how we act. These all are questions I think all of us who have this huge burden on their shoulders to be dubbed as nation’s future should ask oneself. What am I here for?

AND I THINK REALITY IS UNDERRATED.

13 comments:

  1. You have struck the exact nail Rustam !! Really an must-to read piece for MBA aspirants.Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks avinash. I hope most people read this and not only MBAs but others also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well written rustam...worth reading..

    ReplyDelete
  4. good job rustam....!!!hope u continue with it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should thank you Rustam for sharing this with us and let the facts come infront....welldone !!!
    may god bless you....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Karam. I really hope people come to realize truth and understand what it means to do an MBA.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very true said. even after knowing the reality we don't work as hard as we should do. we should think how lucky we are than those who even are not in the condition to afford high studies.really we all need to work on that part.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Worth reading .. keep up the spirits as always,... may b lil late but read it

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last few lines are true in their own sense..
    good thoughts indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Niharika, for spending your time here. Maybe these lines help you in their own sense.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My boy, that is how the world is...We prepare a lot, dream a lot, plan a lot...But at last only few a times things happen in those tunes.
    Welcome to reality!!!

    ReplyDelete